The Barb Knothe Burn Therapist Achievement Award Recipients
|2021||Cynthia J. Hayes Lundy, PT||Intermountain Burn Center||Salt Lake City, UT|
|2020||Elizabeth "Liz" A. Rivers, RN, OT||Regions Hospital||St. Paul, MN|
|2019||Beth Costa, OTR||Harborview Burn Center||Seattle, WA|
|2018||Ingrid S. Parry, MS, PT||Shriners Hospital for Children||Sacremento, CA|
|2017||Kristen L. Ause-Ellias PT, MPT||Miami Valley Burn Center||Dayton, OH|
|2016||Sandra Fletchall, OTR/L, CHT, MPA, FAOTA||Firefighter's Regional Burn Center||Memphis, TN|
|2015||Helen D. Christians, MOT/L||Legacy Oregon Burn Center||Portland, OR|
|2014||Cheryl A. Hanley, OTR/L||Shriner's Hospital for Children||Sacremento, CA|
|2013||Lisa Forbes, MSc, OT Reg (MB)||Winnipeg Health Sciences Centre||Winnipeg, MB|
|2012||Sydney Jane Thornton, OTR||North Carolina Jaycee Burn Center||Chapel Hill, NC|
|2011||Kim Walker, OTR||Hermann Hospital||Houston, TX|
|2010||Judith A. Carr, OTR||Westchester Medical Center||Valhalla, NY|
|2009||Linda C. French, PT &
E. Tonas Kalil, PT, MGA
|Mid Atlantic Burn Camps||Clarksville, MD|
|2008||Dana Nakamura, OTR/L, CLT, CLMC||Wake Forest Univ. Baptist Medical Ctr.||Wake Forest, NC|
|2007||Mary Jo Baryza, MS, PT, PC||Shriners Hospital for Children||Boston, MA|
|2006||Beth J. Franzen, OT||Regions Hospital Burn Center||St. Paul, MN|
|2005||Merilyn L. Moore, PT||University of Washington Burn Center||Seattle, WA|
|2004||Michael A. Serghiou, OT||Shriner's Burn Hospital for Children||Galveston, TX|
|2003||R. Scott Ward, PT, PhD||Intermountain Burn Center at the
University of Utah
|Salt Lake City, UT|
|2002||Reg Richard, MS, PT||Miami Valley Hospital||Dayton, OH|
Criteria for Nomination for the Barb Knothe Burn Therapist Achievement Award
Scope: To recognize, on a yearly basis, the outstanding performance of an Occupational Therapist / Assistant or Physical Therapist / Assistant and his or her dedication, service and
contribution to the realm of burn care and rehabilitation.
Criteria: Recipients of this award must meet the following criteria:
- A licensed / registered Physical Therapist / Assistant or Occupational Therapist / Assistant
- An active member and participant of the American Burn Association for at least 5 years
- An active member within at least one of his or her practice discipline associations at either the national, state or regional level (i.e. AOTA; APTA) or another burn related organization
(i.e. The Phoenix Society, North American Burn Society, etc.)
- Practicing for a minimum of 7 years with at least 50% of his or her time specifically dedicated to therapist-driven burn care treatment, rehabilitation and research including supervision and direction of therapists' and research.
- Demonstrate commitment, dedication and service on a daily basis to the treatment, rehabilitation and management of burn injuries and their consequences.
Purpose: This award commemorates the spirit and commitment of Barbara Knothe, MOT, OTR/L, CHT, who suffered a fatal heart attack on March 5, 2001. Barb had dedicated over 20 years of
service to the treatment of burn injuries and was an invaluable clinical instructor, mentor, teacher and above all, a lifelong friend to all with whom she made contact. This award is dedicated in her memory to
all of the active burn therapists that embody the same drive and commitment as Barb.
Upon selection, the named individual will receive a plaque commemorating this honor. They will be recognized as part of the American Burn Association Awards session as well as Occupational Physical Therapy Special Interest Group meeting of the American Burn Association national conference. The recipient will deliver a brief speech to the OT / PT SIG meeting. Additionally, a monetary award is provided which is funded by a gracious donation from Bio Med Sciences, Inc. and processed through the American Burn Association in recognition of this achievement.
Barb had grand visions of developing and performing research and clinical training modules, however these plans never meet their fruition. This memorial award will serve as an active foundation and inspiration for all of the great clinical PT’s and OT’s to be both clinical and research based in their daily practices and to serve as a resource for developing burn therapists to achieve their full potential.
Selection Committee: The selection committee will is comprised of the following members:
- The current chairperson of the Knothe Burn Rehab Committee.
- The current members of the Knothe Burn Rehab Committee.
- The current Chair and Co-Chair of the Occupational Physical Therapist Special Interest Group of the American Burn Association.
- The recipient of the Barbara Knothe Burn Therapist Achievement Award from the previous year in which they are selected.
The selection Committee will readily focus on the clinical merits and contributions of the nominees practice which provides the foundation for this award to honor outstanding clinicians in burn
rehabilitation. The selection will also be based upon the completed nomination form and letters of recommendation submitted by any active member of the American Burn Association from any clinical discipline.
Clinicians can nominate themselves, but should also obtain letters of recommendation to support the nomination.
Click here to download the Barbara Knothe Burn Therapist Achievement Award Nomination Form and submit a fellow clinician today!